Tuesday 8 December 2009

Merida - Progresso and trying to get to Uxmal!

During my travel in Mexico I wanted to visit different Maya ruins. One of them was Uxmal, a bigger Maya ruin near to Merida. 

In Merida I had the chance to stay at Ignacio's home, another CSer (Couch Surfer).  We wanted to meet at the bus station, but as often in Mexico, the bus was late. The travel to Merida just gave me a small impression about how things in Mexico work (or better to say, don't work): the aircondition was broken and the windows were impossible to open.. Rember: in Mexico it can be very very hot... We were all sweating like a group of peope in a finnish sauna! At some time the bus stopped and the driver went... Where? Who knows! After 30 min he came back and we continued our travel. Maybe he went to get some lunch.. ;-) Finally arrived I tried to find Ignacio, but with 2 hours of delay I knew he'll be gone. So I just went with a couple of French to the cheapest Hostel in Merida. After a friendly conversation with the guy of the hostel, which wanted to make us a special price for a room, the couple said to me that they wanted to find a little hotel, as they were in honeymoon.. Honeymoon backpacking??? I'll never do that! They told me that they slept alredy 5 nights in multiple rooms! I always thought Honeymoon should be based on sex, sleep and good food.. Obviously I was wrong! :-)
Well, so I tried again to find my Ignacio... and I did! A very nice family! They have a house on the sea and Ignacio told to pack my swimsuit and we went right to Progresso for a few days. 
There I met two belgian girls: Kim and Jacoba. I really enjoyed the time with this two girls! We selpt in amacas, we eated much, get burned, went out to dance and just enjoyed the time together! The whole family was really nice. Some days later Ignacio brought us, the Belgian girls and I, back to Merida. 


That day I went to Campeche a small city, very colored and absolutely desert (I hope this was the case because it was Sunday) and when I got back in Merida I bought bus tickets to get to the next morning.
So, the next morning I woke up, exited to see my first big Maya ruin! I had reserved a ticket for 9am. So I tought that leaving the house at 8.15 would be early enough to reach the bus-station in time. Well, it would have been enough, if Ignacio hadn't locked me in the house! So, after looking how to get out from that damned house, after a half an hour I finally get on the main road (thanks to the help of Kim and Jacoba). 
Normally as a tourist gets near to a road, lots of taxis arrive. As you can imagine: in my case no taxi was in sight! I started to walk on the road, hoping that someone would pick me up soon... But probably they just thought: "what the hell is this gringa doing with her shoes pending on her backpack????"
After a while I arrived to a carwash center. I asked the guys there if someone could take me to the bus station, and so I met Ulisse. He brought me to the station.. for free! Such a nice guy! 
Of course I missed the bus.. And I had to buy a new ticket. But the ruins were really beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment