Thursday 11 February 2010

Pots, Field and Krsna

Oi mi queridos!!!!

Me desculpem, há muito tempo que eu não posso escrever!
So, I'm now here since already three weeks, and I'm still in love with this country! It's sooo beautiful here!
Right now I'm overfilled with work, so I had no time to write you. And, I also don't have internet anymore in my house... I thought it would be too beautiful to be true... Well, it isn't! ;-)
If you're asking yourselves how my work is going: it is going great! It's now two weeks ago that we planted more or less 1000 plants in 320 pots. With a lot of love and good energy, we have now a balance of only 3 plants to be replaced! Luciola told me that this is very unusual, as usually Cerrado plants are very difficult to keep in a greenhouse, so that high mortality rates were expected. We're both happy that everything is going so well, so far!
We also started our field experiment, which consist in taking plants (with their roots) from different sites in the Cerrado vegetation. At the end we will compare soil and plant proprieties between sites were endangered plant species occur and were invasive (alien) species occur. It's a hard work, but the nature here, which is  Savanna, is wonderful! The only problem is that we have to analyze the samples right after the collection, which means that we have very long days of work.
However the last days were an exception: we were in Alto Paraiso, an area a bit outside from Brasilia.
There we had to stay in a Hotel in the middle of  Nonwhere. Actually, it is not really a Hotel, it's more a place were people can retire to practice spiritual rituals. In fact it is a "Hare Krsna" pousada... Normally no Guru is there, but, luckely, or maybe not, when we got there (Me, Luciola, and two students: Gabriella and Gleide) there was an american woman welcoming us, wearing a sari and having a golden symbol on her front.
Well, this was the begin of a few very weird days...
Unfortunately, I have to go back to my samples now, but as soon as I can, I'll tell you about my "Hare Krsna Days".
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment