Saturday 23 January 2010

The "kafkanian" metamorphosis

In Tanzania, I used to take Mephaquin against a possible Malaria.
It's known that this drug may have strong psychophysic effects... However, for the first Month when I was there, I had no troubles at all. I was almost convinced by the time that I'll not have any side effects... Until that night.
It was the day after we came back from Tanga, the city were we bought food for the next two weeks and a mirror (, which we didn't had, and which I thought may be nice to have, as we were 4 girls there). The travel was kind of adventurous (I'll report it in another post) and very long. Probably I forgot to drink enough water, which is very important when you have to take this pill, which happens once a week.
However, that day at the Hotel, I saw a guy with a very strange face. He had a huge head and a very strange face, so that I was very impressed.
When we finally arrived a home, I was sooo tired and I was looking forward to sleep. But, for some reason, when I was lying in my bed, I started to have the feeling that my room was full of people starring at me, and one of them was this guy. I knew that this was not possible, so I took the torch to see through the mosquito net. I started to read my book, trying to ignore this feeling of people in my room. Then I started to really have the feeling to actually see that guy. I told to my self that it was just an hallucination, so switched off the light and tried to sleep. As I was lying in my bed in the dark, I suddenly started to feel the skin of my face shrugging. I was convinced that I was BECOMING that guy, and that I was going to kill Judith and myself. I was scared to hell from MYSELF. It was horrible! I never had such a fear!
As a good rational person, as I am, I told to myself to go to the bathroom and have a look in the mirror, to reassure myself that I was still the same person. I was really grateful to have thought to buy a mirror!!!
In the bathroom I was almost scared of my image: I was looking weird, and my pupils were very wide. But at least, it was still me!
I went back to my room and kept on reading my book the whole night, ignoring the guy in my room and waiting for the first sunshines.
When I went to breakfast, Judith asked me. "Did you sleep well?"
I just answered: "Not, really, I had fear to kill you...".

No comments:

Post a Comment